Tips for Preventing a DWI Charge:
Keeping a well-maintained vehicle, does not give a police officer the opportunity to pull you over.
- Make sure there are no broken lights.
- Make sure your state inspections and registration stickers are up to date.
Do not drink and drive:
- Make sure you have a designated driver, and two drivers for large groups.
- Contact a driver service, taxi company, UBER, or a family member or close friend.
- Take the keys from an intoxicated person who intends to drive!
MADD ‘Tips: How to Prevent Someone from Driving Drunk’
- Be as non-confrontational as possible.
- Suggest alternate ways to get home, like a cab, sober driver, or public transportation.
- Remember that the person you are talking to is inebriated, speak slowly, and explain.
- Get the keys from the person.
- Suggest they stay the night at your house.
- Ask others to help talk them out of driving. It is harder to say “No” to multiple people.
Some other ideas for you or a friend.
- Wait several hours before you drive. Get something to eat and drink lots of water. This may possibly decrease your blood alcohol levels.
- Sleep in your vehicle: Put your keys in the glove box, set the emergency break, lock your doors, and sit anywhere but the driver’s seat. If you are in the driver’s seat, officers may still be able to arrest you for a DWI.